Saturday, January 19, 2019

Senith (52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks: Week 3 – Unusual Name)


“I can almost see her. She’s like a shadow that runs around just out of sight, in the corner of my eye.” The words from my husband’s aunt came slowly as she stared into space. Her words and her eyes evoked a feeling from a time long ago. She was speaking of her younger sister, Senith Marie Crum, who died when she was only 18 months old.

Senith. What an unusual name, I thought, as I listened attentively. My husband and I were visiting with his aunt a few years ago when I brought up the subject of the two children who were her younger sister and brother. They had both passed away before the birth of a fourth child, my husband’s mother.

If she had lived, she would have been Aunt Senith. Would she would have been more like my husband’s aunt or like his mother? Two sisters could never have been so different, and yet two sisters could never have been closer. I’ve often wondered if the death of the two children in between had made them so close.

As she began to talk about Senith, my husband’s aunt suddenly exclaimed, “Oh, wait!”  She got up and went to one of the back bedrooms and returned with treasures. Yes, completely wonderful treasures. She still had the precious little faded pink shoes and hat that belonged to her younger sister, and even more wonderful was the lock of golden hair that had survived all these years!

Those items brought Senith to life for me. I, too, could see a golden-haired child wearing a pretty pink hat and shoes (and probably a matching pink dress) running around happily, bringing joy to her parents and older sister. She must have been a true joy indeed, especially in light of the fact that an older brother, who had been born the year before her, had only lived four hours.

Senith Marie Crum was born on 15 Nov 1931 in Dyer County, TN. She died on 2 Jul 1933. Her death was recorded in Unionville, located south of Dyersburg, but north of Halls, which is where the family appeared to be living. Senith’s father recorded his address as Halls on her Death Certificate. Was the hospital, or maybe the doctor’s office, in Unionville? I don’t know. But I do know how devasted this family must have been at the passing of yet another beloved child. I marvel at their strength and their ability to keep going.

Senith was buried in the Mt. Vernon Baptist Church Cemetery, also located in Unionville, Dyer County, TN. There is no marker for her there and only one person is still alive who remembers her as she once lived.

Senith. I’ve researched the name, and it truly is an unusual name. I wonder why she was given that name? I’ll probably never know. But I do know that in writing about her, more people will come to know her and the memory of her will continue.

Rest in peace, Aunt Senith.

The Death Certificate for Senith gives the cause of death as colitis. 



@2019 Copyright by Carla Love Maitland

2 comments:

  1. I like your story. Most children were born at home, as she probably was. Unionville is a place. The rural route was Halls, still is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see Unionville on a map when I looked it up. However, I didn't know the rural route was Halls. Thanks for that information - and I'm glad you liked the story!

      Delete