Monday, April 21, 2014

Tombstone Tuesday: "Woodmen of the World" (John J. Blackmon)

In July of 2009 my husband and I visited Brown's Church Cemetery in Jackson, Madison Co., TN. We were looking for, found and photographed a number of tombstones and markers for members of my own family who were buried there.

The cemetery itself is so beautiful, and we found ourselves wandering around taking photos of some of the more unusual tombstones. The one pictured here struck us both. We loved the fact that it was "Erected by the Woodmen of the World." Not only did we take the photo of this one for John J. Blackmon, we ended up taking photos of the many other Blackmon tombstones that surrounded it.

Needless to say, I immediately began a Blackmon Family Tree on Ancestry. I just had to find out more about them - right?


John J. Blackmon (3 Sep 1845 - 5 Feb 1902) Born and died in Madison County, TN.

@2014 Copyright by Carla Love Maitland

No comments:

Post a Comment